Beyond Words Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beyond Books, Beyond Worlds, Beyond Your Imagination.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

MM Lee: I can make more money if I am not a minister

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tigris
Admin
Admin
Tigris

MM Lee: I can make more money if I am not a minister Empty
PostSubject: MM Lee: I can make more money if I am not a minister   MM Lee: I can make more money if I am not a minister Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 11:38 am

http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/11...ot-a-minister/

From our Correspondent

Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew has jumped to the defence of the Singapore “system” promulgated by him, claiming that it “works” precisely because the ruling party takes great care when choosing its candidates, including some who forgo high-paying careers to become ministers.

In his speech at a grassroots event at Tanjong Pagar, MM Lee used the examples of Law Minister K. Shanmugam, an MP of Sembawang GRC, and Tanjong Pagar GRC MP Indranee Rajah to drive home his point.

Mr Shanmugam, Mr Lee said, could make $6 million a year while in private practice, but now makes $1.5 million a year as a minister.

‘(Opposition MP) Low Thia Khiang says, ‘Oh, so much money.’ I tell you honestly, if I am not a minister, I myself could make two or three times what I am making now. Every time I talk to foreign companies, they offer me $100,000. What do I do with the money? I give it (away) for scholarships, donate to it schools,’ he added.

MM Lee did not reveal the identities of the foreign companies which offer him the sum. MM Lee sits on the board of many international companies including Citigroup before he step down last year.

Singapore’s ministers are the highest paid in the world. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has an annual salary in excess of S$3 million dollars which is more than 5 times of U.S. President Barack Obama. A minister is expected to take home more than $1.9 million yearly, or $158,000 a month, far more than the median salary of $4,500 of the ordinary Singapore workers.

Despite the high pay, the ruling party has encountered difficulties in getting the right people into government.

In other developed democracies, aspiring politicians will join a political party whose ideology suits them and work their way slowly up the party hierarchy.

Singapore’s politics have been dominated by the PAP since independence. The other political parties are relatively weak in comparison and have difficulties attracting credible candidates into their ranks.

The Singapore “system” bears more similarities to the “mandarinate” system in feudal China than a modern Westminister democracy which we inherited from the British.

The PAP itself lacks intra-party democracy – the cadre system introduced by MM Lee allows him to maintain a tight grip on the party for over five decades. Leaders for the top positions are not voted in, but “appointed” though elections are held regularly for its CEC.

A climate of fear enshrouds the entire nation – few Singaporeans will dare to join the opposition out of fear of losing their ricebowls. Even the PAP found it hard to recruit the people they want because they are not interested in politics in the first place.

Just like in feudal China where the court mandarins are merely “servants” of the Emperor and power remains firmly in the hands of the royal family, PAP MPs and ministers are no more than “servants” of the ruling elite.

Under a free, uncontrolled and competitive political system like in Japan, South Korea and Taiwan, there will be Singaporeans joining politics out of a genuine desire to serve the nation like MM Lee himself in the 1950s when he chose to give up a lucrative legal career to join politics full-time.

Due to the inherent unwillingness of Singaporeans to participate actively in politics, the PAP has no choice but to use high salaries to entice capable leaders to join the government. Even then, it may end up getting the wrong people who are in politics for the wrong reasons.

The Singapore “system” works too well to entrench the PAP in power which does not serve the overall interest of Singapore in the long run.

A first world nation like Singapore should be a shining beacon of democracy in the region. Instead it is burdened with an obsolete, archaic and repressive third-world political system which makes us a laughing stock in the free world so that somebody or some party can continue its rule forever.
Back to top Go down
https://beyondword.forumotion.net

MM Lee: I can make more money if I am not a minister
Page 1 of 1